Sunday, September 20, 2009

Savory Onion and Tomato Tart

This is the recipe (by request) for the tart I whipped up the other day for JP and myself when I ran over to the vineyard to gather my important documents. It is best with super-ripe, garden tomatoes!

A simple savory crust prebaked (I just made one with semi-whole-wheat flour, palm oil, olive oil, salt, and water).

olive oil
3 medium sized onions, (about 2 cups of sliced onions)
2 large garlic cloves
a small bell pepper (orange or red)
5 small very sweet, fresh-picked tomatoes
3 anchovy filets

optional: a sprinkle of fresh rosemary, thyme, or herbes de Provence.

Slice your onions and toss them in a deep dish frying pan with olive oil to cover the bottom, turn on the heat beneath and begin to sweat them. Turn down the heat and let them start to caramelize.

Chop the bell pepper and add it to the onions. Stir so they don't stick or burn.

Crush and chop the garlic, and add it to the pan.

Chop the tomatoes into quarters or eighths (depending on size) and add them before the garlic burns (a couple minutes).

Let simmer and reduce.

Pull out the anchovy filets and drop them into the simmering oil. Mash them with a wooden spoon, and blend into the rest of the mixture. -- Anchovies literally melt when simmered in oil.

Pour the mixture into your pre-baked pie crust. Spread it out. Sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese on top. I also put chunks of goat's cheese into the tart. Pecorino is also an option -- you can go creamy and tart, or salty and chewy.

Bake till it is nicely reduced and melted, perhaps 15 minutes. And enjoy -- hot, warm, or cold the next day.

5 comments:

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

That sounds really good, and since I have small sweet tomatoes (the only ones I'm getting after the other plants failed from our rainy summer), I'll give it a try.

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

I've read about, I don't know if you'd call it candy, fruit that has had sugar added to it and made into candy. It's a French thing and one of the towns in the Luberon (Cavaillon, Apt?) is supposed to be known for it. Fruit glace?
Any ideas?
I can't comment intelligently on the teenagers except to say my siblings are all over 50, live with my mother and are still doing the same thing. So you're doing the world a huge favor by teaching them to get along with others!

Madeleine Vedel said...

Yes, it is fruits confits -- we used to make many bitter oranges this way, likely the easiest fruit to confit, and other citrus rinds. The trick is to put them into a very dense syrup. Warm them to just simmering, then turn off. Let cool, and continue, repeat, till the syrup replaces all the water in the fruit. They should hold onto their shape and color along the way (strawberries are particularly difficult). There's a confiseur in St. Remy who does some pretty amazing ones. A Christmas specialty.

And yes, teenagers, or adults -- I've still issues with my siblings! It's rather scary to contemplate what will happen the day my mother eventually departs us. We just don't have great getting-along skills. Thus, I do what I can with a more porous generation.

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

I just found the place in St. Remy on google. wow!

We returned to find both our families crazier than ever and both of them totally unprepared for losing the older generation which seem to be keeping the life rafts going. It suddenly occurred to me one day that neither of us have a sibling who is sane and successful. Someone we can count on to be there. Everyone is either struggling or just plain nuts or worse. ah well.

Madeleine Vedel said...

welcome to the club. But I've some amazing friends and cousins... if necessary, reach beyond the nuclear family range. Meantime, I'm trying to raise my boys as well as I can.... time will tell.