Monday, March 23, 2009

Baby Goat Photos, and Goat Cheese hors d'oeuvres

Unless otherwise noted, all materials on this site are (c) 2009 by Madeleine Vedel.




I delayed my arrival at the winery Saturday. I couldn't resist going over to see Isabelle and Paul Pierre. I missed seeing their new baby grandson as their daughter was out shopping for groceries, but that was ok. I wasn't there to hold a wee little worm of a baby in my arms (no matter how lovely a sensation that is), I was there to see my dear friends, to give them big American hugs, and to spend a moment together. I brought her up to date on my adapting of her recipes, and what I've been able to find on the internet for the teen cookbook, and more. We chatted about my boys, JP, life in general. Oh yes, and, mothers that we are, and brand new grandmother that she is, we took turns telling tales of our birthing experiences: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Paul Pierre, who'd been there for the birth of his daughter, and his grandson, was actually able to partake in this otherwise very female discussion. I know many a man who would have politely tolerated this for a moment or two, and then suddenly found a reason to exit stage left. We heartily agreed that things have improved drastically since the day 30 years' ago she gave birth, and even since the day seven and and half years' ago when I gave birth.

However, I did take advantage of the time to photograph the new kids.



Between the flowers that are exploding all around, the leaves filling the trees and the arrival of baby animals... I revel in the depth of this rebirth that fills my senses. The perfume of the mimosa, the colors dancing off my eyes, and the gentle warmth of a baby's beating heart against my chest (the baby goat that is).



On their way back to Avignon with their father, the boys saw a brand new calf at the dairy where we get our milk. From atop our bikes as we ride by the dead arm of the Rhône, we catch sight of the families of ducks with the little ones trailing behind swimming, and darting and intermingling amidst the reeds. It truly is a renaissance.

Pistachio Goat Cheese Balls


4 fresh goat cheese rounds (about 2 cups of cheese)
1/4 cream
1 tablespoon tarragon (fresh or dried)

2 cups shelled and chopped pistachios
1/2 cup shredded parmesan

In a mixing bowl mash together the goat cheese, the cream and the tarragon to make a somewhat firm paste. Using your very clean hands, make lots of small thumb-sized balls. Put aside.

Mix your pistachios and parmesan together in a shallow plate, and one by one, roll and press gently the cheese balls in this mixture. Arrange decoratively on a serving dish, and chill till you are ready to serve.

If yesterday's lunch is any clue, they go fast!

No comments: