Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A quick yummy snack for the kids and me - Homemade Cereal bars



I miss granola bars. They're one of those rare items I purchase and bring back to France (along with organic crunchy peanut butter, Tazo black chai tea, and dried cherries). But hey, I've a house full of ingredients, all organic, virtuous, yummy, and with potential.

So, I got out the Kitchen Aid, and went through my cupboards, throwing things in. I used the basic measuring tool of a single cup and distant memories of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies from my childhood. With a bit of tweaking and creativity the results are yummy, healthful... but definitely calorie-filled! Not a dietetic option, but good for a hike and/or an after-school snack for starving, growing kids.

Start to finish (as long as you've got the ingredients on hand) is 25 minutes, with a nice chunk of that sitting down sipping my cup of chai while the oven bakes.

1 cup palm oil and/or butter or a combination of the two
1 cup almond butter
1 cup rapadura organic brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamum
2 eggs
2 cups 5 flake blend (oats/wheat/spelt/rice/barley)
1 cup quinoa flakes (or whatever you have on hand)
2/3 cup pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flour (whole wheat or white as you prefer)
100 g. (3.5 -4 oz) chopped dark chocolate

Mix all this together, one by one. It will make a very thick paste. Spread it out and pat it down to a 1/2 inch height (1 cm or so). Bake at 175C/365F for 10-15 minutes or till it smells wonderful and is nicely browned and crunchy. Slice into bars immediately after removing from the oven. Serve with farm fresh milk, or soy milk, or water, or beer. As your heart desires!

In my household, this recipe barely makes enough to last an afternoon.

No comments: