Thursday, July 2, 2009

A last batch of snacks

As I cleaned out the cupboards and finished off as many perishable ingredients as possible I was helped by my hungry hordes. Coming home from school those last days -- hot, weary, sweating, the elder ones just a wee bit stinky... I was inspired by what lay within easy reach: almond butter (Pascale had urged me to share a case of this earlier this spring); palm oil (I got 10 bars of it to bake with not too long ago); sunflower seeds (a constant in our house for salads, cereal, bread and more); brown sugar (or rapadura by preference); an egg, a bit of flower, some vanilla and cinnamon, a sprinkle of salt.. oh yes, and a bag of pretty neutral organic puffed rice, (aka org Rice Krispies, if one were to borrow a brand reference).

With dark chocolate melted on top, my made-up cereal bars were a hit. I believe the recipe went like this:

2 cups almond butter (could be replaced with another nut butter)
1 cup brown sugar (organic rapadura is best)
1/2 cup palm oil (could be replaced by butter or a high quality org. margerine)
a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (other seeds if you have them would be yummy to)
2 cups puffed rice (org. rice krispies)
1/2 cup flour (I used semi-whole wheat org.)

Spread this very thick mixture on a cookie sheet atop a silpat or sulfur paper (I moistened my hands in cold water to press it out, as it really is very thick).

Bake at 375C or 180C till lightly browned. (about 20 minutes)

Have dark chocolate at the ready to crumble over the hot sheet -- the chocolate will melt quickly, and when melted you can spread it out with a knife or a rubber/silicon spatula. Gently cut your rather crumbly bars and let cool.

Nourishing and the kids loved them!

As my big girls said on our last day together, "Madeleine, ta cuisine va vraiment me manquer l'année prochaine!" Pretty good for an American in Avignon, hm? Whatever my faults, I nourished my hordes with love and pretty darn well this year.

No comments: