Wednesday, February 10, 2010

chocolate delights


Okay, so, it's vacation, I'm hanging out in the house (fearful of the strong winds outside), writing, editing, working on the computer, but also hosting 8 year old Jonas and his best friend. After feeding them a simple lunch of pasta and sauce and some grated carrots like a good mom, I became (as often is the case) tempted by the idea of a snack for them.

But, I've not gone shopping for a bit, and it was a classic situation of what can I make with the ingredients I have in the house?

Two eggs
no butter, but a 1/3 cup of palm oil (in its natural bar form, solid at room temperature)
sugar
1/2 a cooked sweet potato
chocolate (a staple, right?) in this case 3/4 of a bar of 200g

So, I can't make classic brownies - not enough eggs
nor am I making a buttery concoction
and it would be nice to use up this sweet potato...

So, the following was produced, and you know, the kids are in heaven! I'm documenting this as quickly as possible, while the approx. quantities are still in my memory.

Included with the above were the basics below:

1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

I melted my 60% chocolate bar with the palm oil in a pan on the wood stove
Meantime I mashed the sweet potato (about 1/3 cup all told) with the two eggs, adding in the 1/2 cup of sugar. It wasn't completely pureed, but the lumps were small enough to be lost in the batter.
I then let the chocolate mixture cool a bit before adding it to the eggs, along with the vanilla and salt. I then whisked in the flour and baking powder.

The kids requested muffins. So, I poured the batter into my molds, and Jonas was then inspired to top them all off with mini-chocolate chips.

Not even 10 minutes later, in my 175C/385F oven (convection) the delights were puffed up. I turned off the oven and waited a moment before removing them. They are fragile, but moist and yummy.

Yield - 14 muffins. Enough for two little boys and their mommy.

3 comments:

Laurent said...

Humm...it looks great !

I can understand why "kids were in heaven" !

It could be a real chef'recipe. And I know what I'm talking about : I own a restaurant near Avignon : le Moulin de la Roque

Keep writing !

Madeleine Vedel said...

thank you Laurent and Merci! It is always a fun achievement to simply put together a recipe with what is available... though yes, having years of baking behind me does help with the creativity within a framework.

Whereabouts is the restaurant? And your specialties? Peut-être à très bientôt,

Dona said...

Ils ont l'air delicieux en effet! Bon courage Madeleine!!